Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Wikipedia

Wikipedia, the free online encyclopedia, is not a reliable source to be used for educational purposes. I knew wikipedia can be edited by anyone so I try to never site it as a reference for a research paper. However, I do like to use it as a starting point. Wikipedia breaks a lot of information down and is usually easy to read and comprehend. If I don't know much about a particular topic, then I like to read what wikipedia says. I always check the information with more reliable sources.
I like the Wikipedia Scanner idea. Once it is perfected it will be useful to hold people accountable for their entries. But, like they pointed out in the podcast, there are ways around it. In time,it could be a very useful tool.
If I were a teacher, I would not want my students to site wikipedia as a source for a paper. While wikipedia is useful in some areas, it is not reliable enough to be used as a formal reference.

No comments: