Monday, September 1, 2008

Did You Know?

The "Did You Know?" movie was about how technology has grown and will continue to grow for future generations. I thought it was very interesting. My parents have always said that my sister and I had schoolwork that was way ahead of theirs. My parents hardly considered college if they considered it at all. I wasn't even sure if college was for me. Things have definitely changed. I feel like there is a generation gap between me and sixteen year olds when it comes to technology...I'm 23. The fact that 70% of four year olds have used a computer blew my mind. I was reading chapter books at four and was considered ahead. I probably didn't even know anyone that owned a computer when I was four. I feel like sooner than later I'm going to be one of those people who complain about how complicated everything is and how young people move so fast these days.
More and more people have access to the internet. Internet moves a lot faster, which makes sites like youtube and myspace possible. I am able to comment, ask questions, and learn from people all over the world. Learning about other countries makes me want to visit them. Hopefully future generations will not be satisfied with simply communicating through computers. While technology connects us...a lot is still to be said for life experience.
I like the idea of One Laptop Per Child Project, or OLPC. This will provide endless opportunities for children who would never have a chance to reach their potential.

No comments: