Monday, October 27, 2008

ItunesU Videos

I watched two videos about coral reefs and one about a solar eclipse. The videos were interesting. I love watching the all fish and coral in the reef. There are so many different types of wildlife that are unique and unusual. I would love to see it for myself one day. The video talked about how the different creatures have different responsibilities. Some are carnivorous and eat other fish. Some keep the algae in check by feeding on the coral.
The solar eclipse video talked about what a solar eclipse is and how it happens. The video stated that the moon is 400xs smaller than the sun and 400xs closer to the sun. An umbra is the part of the shadow where a full eclipse can be seen. A penumbra is where a partial eclipse can be seen.
The videos were full of information and could be very useful in the classroom. But, while watching them, I had flashbacks of watching those boring PBS movies in elementary school. All I can remember from them is getting a good nap. While it is not always possible to experience the lesson in person, (I don't think a field trip to a coral reef will happen too often), hands-on learning seems to be more memorable. I will never forget what it felt like to hold an octopus at the Dauphin Island Sea Lab.
The solar eclipse movie did seem like it could be helpful. It was short and not full of too much information. I think it could be a good way to reinforce a lesson. If the videos are interesting to the children, they can be a great asset in the classroom.

No comments: